March 02, 2016

"The U.S. Defense Department plans to hire private contractors to develop a $600-million-plus computer system for a new background check agency being set up after a security breach last year exposed the personal data of nearly 22 million people, a top official told Reuters."

Reuters: The Pentagon plans to meet interested companies and request proposals before Sept. 30, the end of fiscal year 2016, after finalizing requirements for a more flexible and adaptive replacement, said Richard Hale, the Pentagon's deputy chief information officer for cybersecurity. By Andrea Shalal

'In an interview with Reuters given late last week, he said the Pentagon hoped to build the new system as quickly as possible, but its progress would be measured by testing and events rather than preset dates.

'Big arms makers like General Dynamics Corp, Raytheon Co, Lockheed Martin Corp and Northrop Grumman Corp are expected to bid for the work.

'The White House last month set up a new agency, the National Background Investigations Bureau, to replace the Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) Federal Investigative Services (FIS), which currently handles more than 2 million background checks for federal agencies and industry.

'Still reeling from the massive OPM hack, the White House has said the Pentagon would handle the new agency's information technology (IT) to ensure its security, but gave no details.'

No comments: