December 19, 2015

Interview: "Weir's upcoming book is set to take place in a city on the moon, and...will center on a female lead."

Huffington Post While Weir was decidedly vague on the details of his next work, he teased a late 2016 or early 2017 release. Mark your calendars accordingly. by Katherine Brooks

'You mentioned in previous interviews that you are working on a new book, Zhek. How’s it coming?
Well, it's been back-burnered. I'm actually working on a different story idea -- about a city on the moon. There are a bunch of benefits [to writing this book] over Zhek, one being that this book will be all rigidly sci-fi again. In Zhek there was going to be faster-than-light travel, aliens, and telepathy, but this book, with the moon city, it will have all real technology.

'Are you embarking on as vigorous fact-checking and research that went into The Martian for this new book?
Absolutely -- I’ve got a lot of contacts at JPL [Jet Propulsion Laboratory] and NASA. I'm friends with a lot of astronauts now, which is pretty cool. I can call them, and say, "Hey, I’ve got a question about a largely unknown sub-compartment on the International Space Station. Can you help?"

'Will this new book center on one character's journey, similar to The Martian?
There’s one central character. A female character. I'm a little nervous about that because I've never written a female character, and I hope it comes off as believable.

'Is there a timeline for the book?
I am catastrophically behind on my obligations to Random House because of promoting ["The Martian"]. It will either be late 2016 or early 2017.'

No comments: