June 07, 2015

"In the end, it was the perfect finish to the perfect start from Canada’s perfect soccer player, Christine Sinclair."

The Vancouver Sun On a penalty kick, the 31-year-old striker finessed a ball just inside the post past goalkeeper Fei Wang in stoppage time. by John MacKinnon via Edmonton Journal

'And there it was, 1-0 Canada over China in the opener of the 2015 Women’s World Cup.

'All this came two minutes into stoppage time in front of a Commonwealth Stadium crowd of 53,058, who were standing and roaring as Sinclair stepped up to the penalty spot and buried it, just as everyone expected she would. Including Sinclair.

'“When it was called, the first thing that went through my head was, ‘I’m taking this,’” Sinclair told reporters. “I’ve been practising my whole life for that moment.

'“Then, the next thing through my head was, ‘Man, the fans are very loud right now.’”'

No comments: