April 04, 2014

"I'd jump at the chance to go to the coldest place I can find."

Truro Daily News "Stepping off the plane and feeling the sting of Arctic air on his skin, Master Cpl. Bradley McInnis immediately began to have second thoughts." by Harry Sullivan

'"When I first got to Yellowknife, the first day, the cold was like minus 25 (Celsius). And that would be a pretty cold day down here, people would rush to get into their cars," the former Truro resident said, of his recent military exercise in Canada's far north.

'"The cold hit my face and I wondered if I was going to be able to hack the rest of my trip. So that was a Monday. That Friday we were lining up and jumping in a frozen lake and getting out and changing our clothes there on the lake," he said.

'"The idea was to fall through the ice and then when you made it back to the surface, before you could get out, you had to yell out your name, rank and service number, which for us we've been doing that since day one, basic training, the nine-year veteran from the 4 Engineer Support Regiment in Gagetown, N.B. said. "So it's built into us."

'After bobbing back to the surface, McInnis, 31, said the shocking cold water instantly turned his hands and feet numb and left him breathless and nearly mindless.'

No comments: