June 30, 2011

LA Guitar Festival, Fourth of July weekend at the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center

Los Angeles Times '"I love both acoustic and electric," said festival organizer Mitchell Chang, who also mounts L.A.'s annual Hawaiian Slack Key guitar festival. "I really hope people will attend both days. People who think it's all about shredding will be amazed at what you can do on the acoustic guitar and all the acoustic guitar fans who are jaded by rockers and shredders will see Jimmie Vaughan and see that it's not all about loud and fast."' By Jason Gelt

'The instinct to connect with an audience extends to the electric night as well. Racked by medical issues and warned by his doctors to forego performing, Dick Dale nonetheless recently completed a 23-date U.S. tour and plans to take no prisoners when he plugs in his signature Les Paul at Redondo Beach. "No matter what kind of pain I'm in — it goes away when I step on that stage and I look down at them and they look up at me," he said. "I've never seen anybody walk away from a Dick Dale concert saying, 'The guy sucks.' It's because they see me busting my buns out there. I don't stand up there like a statue and just play for myself. I play to them. I'm going to go out there and make their ears bleed."'

When: Sat. and Sun. 7 p.m. Preshow from 5 p.m.
Price: $40-$195
Info: (800) 595-4849; http://www.laguitarfestival.com.

No comments: